So, apparently I have been bitten by a bug. It’s not serious, but it is most definitely contagious – consider yourself warned. I have been bitten by the DIY bug.
If you spend much time (or any) blog-surfing these days, chances are you will have seen some amazing DIY projects, and I swear they all make it seem so easy don’t they?
I was inspired. Scared to death, but inspired. So I decided to start really small, as in “if this looks like crap it can fit in the garbage can” small.
I found this wooden stool at HomeSense. Not much to look at.
Now, don’t get me wrong, I like pink as much as the next girl. But this was just wrong! As I carried it into the house my hubby said “um, you bought that new?” (what he actually meant was “you spent money on that?”) Yeah, it was really dirty, and the sides were pretty beat up. Did I mention it was on clearance?
I armed myself with supplies, and a pretty little helper…
First step, we painted the stool blue. I used leftover blue wall paint from the girls’ bathroom. And, I wasn’t extraordinarily careful about how the paint went on. My end goal was to end up with something that was a bit distressed and aged looking. So, bits of pink were peeking through when it dried.
I let the blue paint dry overnight. Then I went back and painted it white. In the spirit of sharing “tips” I should mention at this point, if you flip it over to paint the bottom (yup, I did) you really want to make sure the top is actually dry, I ended up with two huge drips on the front step. Nice.
Not exactly the “aged” look I was going for.
After the white paint dried for a couple of days I took it outside and started sanding. I was hoping to get bits of both the blue and the pink to show through, but I wasn’t really sure how to go about it. I used sandpaper sheets instead of a sander because I was worried about hitting bare wood too fast. It took a while, and I worked at it from some different angles, but I got both colors coming through plus a little bit of bare wood.
I am actually pretty happy with my first attempt at re-doing a piece of furniture. (not sure a step-stool counts as furniture though!)
I didn’t over-do the distressing, and I feel like it’s not quite finished. It needs something else…but I think I will wait and see what happens while I finish re-doing the girls’ bathroom before deciding.
I think that may be a side effect from the bug…I now have a very long list of projects I am hoping to work on!
This is my next project!
A vintage piano bench I got for $9 on a thrifting trip with a girlfriend.
In my head it looks kind of like this…
courtesy of Hour 25
But I am planning to do the top with a quatrefoil stencil I found over at Tatertots and Jello in a dark chocolate-brown. Fingers crossed!
Have a great day and thanks for visiting:)
Linking up with:
Look at Me @ It’s Fun to Craft!
Think Pink Sundays @ Flamingo Toes
Tutorials & Tips Tuesdays @ The Stories of A2Z
Creative Bloggers party & hop @ Homemaker on a dime
Creative Creations Tuesdays @ Nothing But Country